Jesus has called us to live lives of service. Opportunities abound within our community, with our many mission partners, and out in the world. We affirm your service wherever God has called you.
Within our church community, opportunities to serve include:
- Social Outreach Team - This group helps determine and foster where money is spent for outreach ministries beyond our doors. This includes monthly mission of the month initiatives such as Malaria prevention, disaster relief, and ICA food shelf.
- Quilters - This group of sewers meets Wednesday mornings and/or Thursday evenings. They make quilts that are distributed overseas through Lutheran Social Services.
- Military Ministries - This group fundraises and provides support for enlisted members or relatives, as well as support for outside organizations that provide counseling and support for veterans.
- The Gathering - This group, in conjunction with Lyngblomsten, provides a day of stimulating activities for those experiencing early- to mid-stage memory loss, and gives five hours of respite to caregivers who desire a break. Oak Knoll hosts this group twice monthly on the first and third Thursday.
Outside groups supported by our outreach ministries include:
- Camp Wapo - Lake Wapogasset Bible Camp is an organization that runs a summer bible camp that our youth attend, as well as the Wilderness Canoe Base for our older youth. www.campwapo.org.
- ICA Food Shelf - Inter-congregation Communities Association, has been in existence for 40 years, helping neighbors who find themselves struggling to make ends meet. www.icafoodshelf.org.
- Lutheran Partners in Global Ministries (LPGM) - is an organization advocates for global mission through congregations and connects people to global projects through giving, travel, presentations and volunteering. www.lutheranpartners.org.
- Lutheran Social Services (LSS) - Minnesota's largest, nonprofit social service organization. They provide services that inspires hope, change lives, and builds community. www.lssmn.org.
- Oak Knoll Christian Preschool & Child Care - Oak Knoll operates a non-profit preschool and child care for the community, giving 10% of total tuition fees back in scholarships. www.oklutheran.org/preschool.
- Our Saviours Housing - Provides emergency food and shelter for people who are homeless. On the 4th Wednesday of each month, Oak Knoll families prepare and serve a dinner at this shelter. www.oscs-mn.org.
- Public Safety Ministries - founded by Pastor Dan Carlson, supports the growing need for spiritual health care and support resources in the public safety professions. Oak Knoll hosts regular meetings for this organization. www.publicsafetyministries.org.
- Plymouth Christian Youth Center (PCYC) - is a community-based organization that exists to benefit children, youth, families and adults through programs of education, cultural arts, human services, and community building. www.pcyc-mpls.org.
- World Relief - Oak Knoll supports world relief efforts for causes such as natural disasters and Malaria relief.
- 363 Days Food Program - Oak Knoll supports this ministry by making hundreds of sandwiches each month. This ministry distributes these sandwiches to homeless on the streets and in shelters. www.363days.org.
Helping at ICA Foodshelf